Wednesday, September 23, 2009


I got this little story in the mail today, and it made me stop and think....

Too Busy
By Ron Mehel

I'll never forget the day I looked out of our living room and saw Mark, our youngest, walking home from school in the driving rain. Mark was in third grade and was allowed to ride his bike to grade school located right within our subdivision. I happened to be home early that day, and I was sitting in an easy chair by the window. I looked outside at the pouring rain and saw my boy in the distance, trudging his way through the downpour. His clothing was absolutely drenched and his hair was platered against his head. I opened the door for him, and he looked up at me with a little smile, his face red from the cold.

"Hi Dad!" he said. "You're home early."

"Hi son" I replied. "You're soaked to the skin."

"Yeah, I know."

"Umm, Mark, you know, if you'd ride your bike you'd get home faster. You wouldn't get so wet."

He looked at me rather sheepishly as rivulets of rain streamed from his hair down across his face. "I know, Dad."

I was puzzled. "Well, son, if you know, why in the world didn't you do it?"

Then he hung his head just a bit, and it hit me. Boy, did I feel like crawling under a table and hiding for a while. He had told me several times before that his bike had a flat tire. He had asked me, "Dad, could you please fix it for me?"

"Sure son," I'd promised him. "Don't worry. I'll get after it right awa." But I never did. I'd forgotten all about it.

As he stood there in the entryway, dripping and shivering, he could have said, "I couldn't ride my bike today because someone promised me he'd fix it and never did." he would have had every right to say that. But he didn't. What he did say remains printed indelibly on this dad's hear.

"Aw Dad, I know how busy you are and everything, and - I just didn't want to bother you with it again."

I thought, "Son, your dad isn't too busy; he's just too selfish."

For me, the bike tire was no big deal; just one more thing on a long "to do" list. But for Mark, it meant more than transportation. It meant more than a long walk home in the rain. It meant trusting his father to keep his promises.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin