Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Tuesday Tip

With the dollar not stretching quite as far as it used to and also in trying to stay in the spirit of Elder Hales comments regarding wants and needs and staying out of debt, I've decided it's time to get creative with my wants. Easter (and spring) are around the corner...I hope! When I was a kid, we always used to get a new Easter Sunday dress. When I was little, my grandma would make them. As I got older, we usually just bought them. I really WANT a new dress but I probably don't need one and I really don't want to spend a whole lot of money on one. This year I've decided to try and save a little $$ and do it grandma's way.

After a few snags (so to speak) in my plans, I finally finished "my" new skirt.

It was actually very simple and easy to make (once I actually read the directions.) The best part is that I made it for under $10 (pattern and all.) The bad part is...(drumroll please)...it doesn't fit. This problem probably would have been eliminated had I actually read the pattern, but I figured that I would just make the size I thought I was. No go! (I'm a little miffed cause I made it to go with my awesome red shoes...oh well, better luck next time.) Luckily I have a skinny sister, and it just happened to be her birthday so, she ended up being the beneficiary of my new Easter Sunday skirt. I plan on making another one that will actually fit me soon...who knows? Maybe I'll get comfortable with sewing again and set up shop. Any orders? jk....(kind of)

The next items on the to-do list are for Ashlynn. An Easter Sunday twirl skirt and a dress. I found some really good deals on fabric at Walmart and I've inherited several pieces of fabric from my grandma, so these skirts are going to be extremely inexpensive. Skirts...probably somewhere in the neighborhood of $5. The dress...$10. Not to bad! I have a pattern for the dress (and will post pics when it is done), but I'm just flying by the seat of my pants with the skirt. OK...not really. I don't have a pattern, but I have found a couple of blogs with some good tutorials on how to make them AND they really are easy (more math is required than actual sewing) so even you non-sewers out there could do it. Click here to visit the link at 30days. She has plenty of fun dresses and skirt tutorial links for girls and mom's alike. Be sure to scroll down the right sidebar because I haven't linked you up to all the patterns. Have fun!

3 comments:

Andy Porter said...

daahhhh!! I love it!! It is so dang cute Cassie!! I'll order from you if you set up shop!! Red and white have to be my favorite combo right now. So cute!!!

Coretta from Confetti said...

cute cute, I really want to make a skirt, but I think I will wait till my size is some what predictable. I know just what I want and just have to find the fabric that matches my idea. Glad someone benefited from your efforts. Looking forward to seeing Ashlynn's items.

Erin said...

Cute skirt Cassie! Can't wait to see Ashlynn's skirt. I made Delphia a skirt this afternoon and am still working on the Easter dress that will hopefully be done for Easter!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin