Friday, May 22, 2009

Friday Favorites

Okie Dokie....so it's time for another favorite book post.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have a tendency to read a lot of youth fiction books in order to preview them for my kids. I like to think of myself as the rating guide for my children's literature because, let's face it, there's a lot of stuff out there that says it's ok for kids and I wouldn't let my kids near it with a ten foot pole. For example, my 6th grader (and my 4th grader for that matter) both came home from school this year (on separate occasions) and asked to read the Twilight series. Apparently all the 6th graders at school were reading the series. It was all the rage among the pre-teens! Are you kidding me?? I mean,  I'll admit, I've read the series, and while it wasn't my most favorite in the world, the storyline grew on me, but SERIOUSLY? let my 4th or 6th grader read them??? I don't think so. Honestly, Jackson (6th grader) would not even enjoy the first book...too much mush!!! I also refused the request to read Brisinger...again, content. 

Anyhoo, to make a long post, short, suffice it to say that I'm just a little picky about what my kids can read, and with that in mind I'll share with you some of my favorite youth fiction series that I do allow my kids to read:


1. Fablehaven Series, by Brandon Mull - I'll be the first one to admit that I'm a little skeptical of books that I first find in Deseret Book (the LDS author kind...sorry, don't mean to offend anyone) but I thoroughly enjoyed reading this series. They are great for kids between 4th and 6th grade. They have monsters, adventure, action, and even some moral lessons. Plus, at the end of the book, there is a Reading Guide that suggests questions for the reader to think about or things for multiple readers (ie. mom to ask kids when they're done with the book) to discuss. I like that!  There are currently 4 books in the series.  The first one got me hooked, and each successive one has only gotten better (I've read the first 3...the 4th is on my "to-read" list.) The first 3 books can be picked up at Walmart (in their youth fiction aisle) for about $5...and I would definitely say it's worth the money!  Book 4 is available at Costco for $11.99 (still a good price.)

Here's a little preview of Book 4

*Just as a note, Brandon Mull also has a book out called "The CandyShop War."  I've read this one too, and while I didn't enjoy it as much as the Fablehaven books, I still thought that it was good and it's appropriate for 4th - 6th graders as well!  It also has the reading guide at the back of it!



2.  Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series, by Rick Riordan - I picked up the paperback edition of the first book for Jackson at Christmas time.  I learned later, that his class was already reading it at school...oh well!  It's been a good addition to OUR library.  I started reading the series because my hubby picked it up one day, read straight through it, and loved it!  (He loves to read, but normally he doesn't enjoy the whole "youth fiction" genre.)  Anyway, that got me started and as I sit here writing, the other thing on my desk is the newly released 5th book in the series...just begging to be read (so if I all of a sudden stop writing you'll know what happened......


Oops...I'm back.  The Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series is great for 4th - 6th grade depending on the reading level of the kids.  (I would probably recommend it more for 5th or 6th grade...although my 4th grader might have something to say about that.)  This is also a series with monsters, action, and adventure...Greek adventure.  It's about a young boy and Greek mythology (that's all I'll give away.)  Suffice it to say that if you have a kid (or you) that enjoys Greek mythology, you'll enjoy this series.  It's written quite cleverly...and like the Fablehaven series, each book gets better and leaves you (as my kids would say)  "dying" to read the next one.  Also, like Fablehaven, the first 4 books can be picked up at Walmart for about $5, and the 5th one is available at Costco for under $10.  Nice!!

I'll write about some of the other series/authors I enjoy later...but I've got a book to finish!  
If you've read any of the series I've mentioned, I'd love to hear your mombles about them.  If not, then read them and momble about what you think OR momble to let me know of any other book series/authors you enjoy or would be appropriate for pre-teens to read.  Happy Reading!!

6 comments:

Erin said...

Love both those series! Another great series is Charlie Bone. I think there are 7 books. They are fabulous!

Carrie said...

Question for you Cassie,
Christiana (2nd grade) reads on about a 4th grade level. Would these books work for her too? We struggle finding books that challenge her i.e. she can't read in 1 night, but are appropriate for an 8 yr old. I have let her read the first two Harry Potter books, but that's as far as I've let her as they get much more scary and dark after that. Thanks, Carrie

Cassie said...

Thanks for the suggestion Erin...I've heard of those books, but I haven't read any of them yet.

Carrie - Sounds like Christiana is in about the same situation as my Breven. The Percy Jackson series is probably a little too old for her, but she would probably like Fablehaven (since she's already read the Harry Potter books)...at least the first one anyhow. Like Harry Potter, I think they get a little bit more complex/more monsters with each book, but I think Breven would like them, and I wouldn't have a problem with him reading them. Check out the Fablehaven link in the post. I think it gives you a synopsis of each book...and I think you can even go in and read several chapters of the first book, so you can decide if it's ok for Christiana. The other series I didn't mention is the "Sister's Grimm" series. Ashlynn has loved that series. You could try those too.

Cassie said...

Oops...Carrie, I was going to tell you that I'll ask Jackee Alston and my younger sister. They'll know some good ones to read!

Jackee said...

Hi! I'm here! And I love these two series. Another one that's great for a younger group (Cristiana to Ashlynn's age) are the Gregor the Overlander series by Suzanne Collins. Really inventive and full of adventure. Also, the Tinkerbell Fairies are a favorite with 6-7 year old girls, as well as Junie B. Jones by Barbara Park and (for same-night-reads) the Fancy Nancy series by Jane O'Connor.

I'm sure I'll think of others, but Cassie, you mentioned my two favorites already.

And BTW, I LOVED the 4th fablehaven, but need to finish off the Percy Jackson ones.

Thanks for the list!

Carrie said...

Thanks for all the suggestions Jackee and Cassie! Now I have lots of idea to look for in the library this summer. If you think of any others I'm all ears!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin