Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Wednesday Wisdom


Here's another installment of...(da da da duh)
Lesson's From My 3 Year Old

Rylen has become our resident comedian over the past several weeks.  He has discovered the art of "joke telling" and while he is far from being a comedic genius, he has given me quite a few chuckles (albeit more from his personality than his jokes.)  His repetoire consists of a few knock knock jokes:

Knock Knock.  Who's there?  Orange.  Orange who?  Orange ya glad I didn't say banana!!  (He hasn't quite grasped the concept of doing the knock knock joke with the banana answer prior to telling this one)

...and a  few "why did the chicken" jokes:

Why did the chicken cross the playground?  To get to the other slide!!!

But mostly his jokes consist of things that he makes up and thinks are funny:

Why did daddy mow the lawn?  Because it was getting long....hahahahahaha!!! (that sort of funny!!)

More often than not his post joke laughter is funnier than the actual joke...and is what spurs on my own laughter.

So, why in the world am I telling you this?  To subject you to the same barrage of lame jokes that I hear on a daily basis???  Maybe.  Hope not!   But as I was trying to think of something to write today, Rylen's humor kept coming into my head, and I kept thinking why am I thinking of all these silly little jokes that Rylen has told me???  

Well, the short answer is that it is something to write about.  

The longer answer (although not that much longer) is that my 3 year old is able to see humor in everything.  (And I suppose the silly jokes are his way of sharing that humor with me.)  I think I could learn a lesson from him.  Sometimes I find myself so wrapped up in things that I fail to see the humor in even the most humorous of situations.  Kids seem to laugh deeply and easily, but I've noticed that it becomes increasingly difficult to laugh at the jokes like, "Why did Brighton crawl up the stairs?....So he could come back down."  I don't find it funny to chase the little monster up and down the stairs all day to make sure that he doesn't get hurt, but I suppose if I looked at it from Rylen's perspective it could look pretty funny to watch mommy hovering protectively over his little brother on one of Bright's many trips up AND down the stairs.

So, I suppose the lesson is this:  life is funny.  Even the most mundane acts are funny...to someone.  It's just up to us to be that "someone" that it is funny to!  Take some time to laugh today...even if you have to make up your own UN-funny joke!

2 comments:

Andy Porter said...

I sometimes get jealous when I watch my kids laughing intensely at the littlest things. It really is a bummer we overlook so much humor everyday! BTW you have to show me how to do those cool links up at the top of your blog! I didn't know you could do something like that on a blog. Cool!

Jackee said...

I agree. And I think kids have the best sense of humor. I think my sense of humor is a bit twisted/morbid, though (case in point: my latest post on cheerios). I need to be more like them with innocent glee!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin