Monday, June 22, 2009

Monday Mom-blings

With Father's Day fresh on my mind, I thought I would do a quick post on...father's!

Memories of my dad...

I remember sneaking out of my bed late one night, when I was a little girl, trying to catch a glimpse of who dad was talking to at the back door.
I remember dad teaching me how to throw and catch in the back yard. I remember dad trying to hide in the corner of the gym during one of my competitions so that I wouldn't know he was there.
I remember a record that dad got me for my birthday. It was just what I wanted, but because he had to work late I didn't get it until after I had already opened my other gifts and his record was a duplicate. I can still feel how horrible I felt thanking him for the gift, but telling him that I already got it.
I remember my dad trying to teach us kids how to play tennis....I also remember trying to find a good hiding spot when we knew he wanted to take us to play tennis.
I remember dad standing up on the hill watching me run in my track meets.
I remember returning home after a weekend gymnastics trip to dad's oven baked BBQ chicken. I remember sitting with my dad after he and mom were in an arguement.
I remember the disappointment he expressed in himself, and I remember telling him that I loved him.
I remember the pages and pages of math homework corrections that I would wake up to each morning cause dad would stay up after he got home from work and check my homework.
I remember my dad helping with the construction of our new gymnastics facility. Specifically, I remember my coach commenting on how dad "just came" and "worked hard" without question or direction. He just did it.
I remember dad stoically sitting beside me in the car as he was teaching me how to drive.

I know my dad is disappointed in "the father" he thinks he was...but I'm not. He's my dad. He has always done everything he could to provide for our family and give us (as children) every opportunity to grow and excel. Dad's quiet example has taught me many things. He has taught me how to work...and do it without complaint. He has instilled in me the importance of always doing my best and he has shown me how to do what needs to be done simply because it needs to be done...without need for direction or praise. I'm grateful for everything that dad has done for me, and what he continues to do for our family.

In the same respect, I am grateful that I married a man who, in his own way, instills those same values in our children. A man who loves his family, works hard to provide for his family, gives his children as many opportunities to learn and grow as possible, and who loves the Lord.

I suppose that's the difference between a boy and a man. You've heard the saying, "Any man can have a child, but it takes a real man to be a father." It's true. A father is a teacher; a mentor; an example. A father is someone willing to sacrifice his own needs for the needs of his family.

What a lucky girl I am to have such wonderful men in my life!

1 comment:

Jackee said...

This is so cute! I need to jog my memory more often for good memories like these ones.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin