Monday, February 23, 2009

Monday Mombles



So, I just read an article in the March 2009 Ensign that had to do with preparing your children for general conference. I love conference. I love staying home and watching conference in my pj's. I love having our family over for our traditional Sunday morning conference breakfast, but more often than not our conference morning turns into a chorus of: "Do I have to watch the whole thing?" or "move over, you're in my space," or "stop hitting me" or "he took my marker." Does this sound familiar?

Anyway, I loved some of the ideas that were in the ensign and I think that I'll try to incorporate some of them into our conference viewing. I thought I'd share a few of my favorites:
1. Put a bowl of treats on the table. Designate a word to listen for (either in all of the talks or change the word for each talk.) If the kids hear the word as they listen to the talk, they can take a treat. (This would be perfect since I have a ton of left-over m&m's from bribing Rylen when he was potty-training.)
2. Conference Quiz. Have everyone in the family watch and listen to conference and come up with 3-5 questions about it (ie. Anything from "What color was Pres. Monson's tie?" to "What did Elder Bednar teach us about families?") Obviously, the younger the children, the more simple the question. The for FHE the following Monday break out your conference quiz and talk about what was learned during conference this year. (My kids would LOVE this one...and actually, my quiz questions would probably be the easy ones because they would ask ones that would try to stump everyone.)
3. Buy each child a copy of of the conference Ensign (when it comes out) and a highlighter, and discuss the talks for FHE. (Obviously this one is for after conference but I thought it was a good idea and something I might try.)

Typically we do the standard coloring page or conference activity book at our house. (I may even make my own little conference activity book while I'm messing around with photoshop...I'll post it if I do.) Most of the kids still enjoy it, but we might mix it up a little. These ideas could be kind of fun. What do you do with your kids to help them listen to and sit through conference?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin