Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tuesday Tutorial

So, today's tutorial is easy enough for even craft-impaired people such as myself.
In my blog surfing, I came across a few blogs (if I could remember which ones they were, I'd give them a shout out) that suggested to go to a specific web-site and try it out...that's what this is.

Wordle is a toy for generating "word clouds" from text that you provide (that's taken directly from their web-site)...and the cool thing is that it is totally free! Good news for all of us watching our budgets these days. So, here's what you do:
1. Head on over to the Wordle web-site (linked above)
2. Hit create
3. Start typing in your words. *Note: The greater number of times you type in a specific word, the larger it will appear in your word cloud. In my example provided, the word "family" was typed in 10x, but the word "work" was only typed in 1x
4. When you're finished typing in your words, hit "Go" and wordle will create the word cloud for you.
5. Once your word cloud is created you can edit the text color, layout, font, and language by just clicking on a few buttons.
6. Hit print and voila...your own personalized art! Easy, Peasy!!!

Here's my attempt. I used my family's names and wording from "The Family, A Proclamation To The World." Talk about easy...and what a fun and personal gift to give someone. (That's a hint to my sister's...don't do this, it's your Christmas present this year...LOL.)

Just think of the other things you could do with it. Create cute, personalized art for your kids room, print the wordle off on transfer paper and use it to create a fun headboard, t-shirt, etc. Just one disclaimer: use of the site is free for personal use, not for commercial use. Respect the creator's terms so that all of us can continue to create fun stuff for free!!!
Give it a try and let me know what you've created! It's pretty fun!

3 comments:

Jackee said...

I'm lovin' this idea and I'm lovin' your new blog! Keep it up and give me something to look at while I lay on the couch bemoaning my stomach. :)

Camille said...

What a fun idea and thanks for the link! I love your new project- the blog.

Fisher Family said...

Ok this is so cool... just imagine all the things I can do with this web site!!! I may never get off the computer again! Thanks for being such a great blogger

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin